Lunch - Chicken and chorizo paella coles recipes
The challenge is in the rice to stock ratio (1 rice to 1.5 stock), managing the heat (cooking time) and understanding the starch level in the rice you have chosen. Made with chicken and couscous, it’s full of flavour and ideal for an easy weeknight meal.
Chicken and chorizo paella
Provided by: Curtis Stone
Total time: 65 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 15
- 1000.00 gm water
- 7.20 gm salt
- Small pinch saffron threads
- 18.20 gm olive oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken wings
- 1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 chorizo, from the deli, cut into thin strips
- 400.00 gm medium grain rice
- 1.25 gm brand smoked paprika
- 1 medium field tomato, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Calories: 150.17 calories
- Fat: 18.3 grams fat
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams saturated fat
- Carbohydrate: 84.3 grams carbohydrates
- Sugar: 1.6 grams sugar
- Protein: 28.2 grams protein
- Cholesterol: 111.2 milligrams cholesterol
- Sodium: 876.6 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced.
- In large saucepan, heat water and salt to a simmer, turn off heat and add saffron.
- Place large ovenproof frying pan or paella pan over high heat and add oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, add chicken and brown on all sides, for about 5 mins. Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat to medium high and return pan to the heat.
- Cook onion, garlic and capsicum for 2 mins, or until softened. Add chorizo and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Stir in rice, then paprika, and cook for 2 mins, or until pan is dry and rice is coated with oil.
- Add warmed saffron water to the pan and stir to evenly combine. Add the chicken back to the pan, arranging in a single layer, evenly spaced and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Once pan comes to a full simmer, remove from heat, sprinkle with tomato and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook, uncovered, for 25-30 mins, or until the rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. A sign of a good paella is crisp rice around the sides of the pan.
- Stand for a few mins before serving. Garnish with spring onion and lemon wedges.
Prawn & Chorizo Paella
CHICKEN CHORIZO PAELLA RECIPE
Provided by: Coles
Total time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 10
- 4 coles rspca approved australian chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 400g pkt birds eye deli grilled vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) couscous
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- lemon wedges, to serve
- null Swap couscous To increase the amount of veg in this dish, replace the couscous with cauliflower rice and reduce the stock to ½ cup (125ml).
Provided by: Rob Keogh
Total time: 75 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 45 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 21
- 2 cups short or medium grain rice
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger (first thumb knuckle size nob)
- 2 mushrooms, brown
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tad chillies, fresh (flakes or sambal oelek paste)
- 200 gms Green beans (a couple of good handfuls)
- 1 cup frozen Peas
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to season
- ½ cup parsley, fresh flat leaf ((15g))
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 2 Chorizo sausages
- 600 gms Chicken thigh fillets (approx 100 gms per person)
- 18 Green prawns (say 3 per pesrons - whole fresh or peeled, tail on if frozen)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 litre chicken stock (1.5 cups per cup of rice - add white wine or water if you run out)
- 1 squid tube (optional)
- 12 Mussels (optional)
Chicken and Chorizo Paella
Provided by: Genevieve
Total time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 14
- 500 g /1lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless (~4 large thighs, cut into rough 2.5cm/1inch cubes)
- 1 chorizo (halved lengthways then cut into 1cm/½inch thick pieces)
- 1 red capsicum/pepper (finely diced)
- 1½ cups short-grain rice (rinsed (note 1))
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400g/14oz)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups hot chicken stock (vegetable stock is okay too)
- ½ cup white wine ((note 2))
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (finely chopped )
- Calories: 667 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 75.9 g
- Protein: 34.9 g
- Fat: 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 102 mg
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- In a large shallow frying pan (or a paella pan, if you have one), add 2 tbsp of olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute on medium heat for about 2 minutes or until onions becomes translucent.
- Add chorizo, capsicum/pepper and paprika. Saute on high heat for about 5 minutes or until chorizo blisters and caramelises.
- Push the chorizo and capsicum mixture to the rims of the pan, making room for the chicken. Add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Saute on high heat for about 3 minutes. Chicken should be browned but still raw on the inside.
- Add rice, saute for 1 minute then pour in white wine. Allow wine to be reduced and absorbed by the rice. Stirring constantly, this will take about 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and hot stock. Bring it up to boil then reduce heat down to medium and cook for 15 minutes. No lid and no need to stir throughout this time. (note 3)
- By now, most of the liquids should have been absorbed. Mix in peas and stir through.
- Turn the heat back up to high and allow the bottom of the pan to start caramelising and rice crisp up. About 4 - 5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle fresh parsley on top.