Treat - Christmas recipe in a jar
A lovely Christmas gift for foodies, our pretty jar contains almost everything you need to make 24 malty white biscuits with white chocolate and cranberries With layers of vanilla chips, oats and dried cranberries, this delectable cookie mix looks as good as it tastes! For a special gift, tuck a jar in a pretty basket with wooden spoon, cookie sheet, kitchen timer and instructions.
Christmas biscuits in a jar
Provided by: Emma Freud
Total time: 21 minutes
Cook time: 11 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 24 items
Number of ingredients: 14
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120g dried cranberries
- 150g rolled oats
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 145g soft brown sugar
- A pinch of flaky sea salt
- 170g large white chocolate chunks
- 1 heaped tbsp malted milk drink powder
- 1l jar
- jar label
- 1 egg
- 150g soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Calories: 173 calories
- Fat: 8 grams fat
- Saturated Fat: 5 grams saturated fat
- Carbohydrate: 21 grams carbohydrates
- Sugar: 13 grams sugar
- Fiber: 2 grams fiber
- Protein: 3 grams protein
- Sodium: 0.8 milligram of sodium
- Layer your ingredients in the jar as follows: First, put in the wholemeal flour mixed with baking powder. Then, the dried cranberries followed by the rolled oats with cinnamon. Your fourth layer is the soft brown sugar seasoned with flaky sea salt and finally, the white chocolate chunks and Horlicks. If giving the jar as a present, simply download our gift tag with the recipe method and print it off, stick it on the jar and tie a ribbon around the top.
- If you want to make the biscuits yourself, or would rather handwrite the label, the method is as follows: Butter two baking sheets and pre-heat the oven (180C/160C fan/gas 4). Whisk an egg, the soft butter and vanilla extract in a bowl using an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy, so about 5 mins.
- Add the contents of the jar and mix together gently to form a dough. Put 12 golf-ball-sized spoonfuls of the dough onto each baking sheet, then bake for 11 mins. Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool a bit on the baking sheets. Eat them while they’re still warm.
Christmas Cookies in a Jar
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
Number of ingredients: 13
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Calories: 188 calories
- Fat: 9g fat (5g saturated fat)
- Cholesterol: 27mg cholesterol
- Sodium: 102mg sodium
- Carbohydrate: 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars
- Fiber: 1g fiber)
- Protein: 2g protein.
- In a 1-qt. glass jar, layer the sugar and brown sugar, packing well between each layer. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; spoon into jar. Top with oats, cranberries and chips. Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- To prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 375°. Pour cookie mix into a large bowl; stir to combine. Beat in butter, egg and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drop by the tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Christmas Pudding In a Jar
Provided by: acoupleofceliacs
Yields: 0 servings
Cuisine: gluten free
Number of ingredients: 16
- 140 g potato starch
- 85 g oat flour
- 180 g buckwheat flour
- 50 g sorghum flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp clove powder
- 250 g grated apples (skins on)
- 180 g grated carrots (3 medium carrots (about 1 cup))
- 280 g grated potatoes (2 unpeeled medium potatoes)
- 330 g raisins
- 260 g brown sugar
- 350 g butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- Sterilise 4 jars in the dishwasher or alternatively wash the jars with very hot soapy water. Then rinse them well and put them upside down on an oven rack, at the lowest temperature your oven goes for 15 minutes.
- Clean and scrub the apples, potato and carrots and them all with the skin on.
- In a large bowl add the potato starch, oat flour,, buckwheat flour, sorghum flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar for about 2 minutes until it is smooth, then briefly beat in the eggs. Add a little flour after each egg to prevent the mixture curdling.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the carrots, apples, potatoes and raisins.
- Mix the dough well and spoon it into 4 sterilized, widemouth canning jars. Fill the jars just over ½ full (which is about 550g in each jar). There must be empty space between the top of the pudding and the top of the jar to allow for expansion of the pudding as it cooks.
- Place the canning rack in the canner or pot and pour in about 16 cups of hot water that it will be no more than 3 inches up the sides of the jars. Bring the water to a boil just before filling the jars with the pudding.
- Clean the sides of jars with a spatula above the pudding line and wipe clean the tops of the jars for a good contact with the lids. Screw on the tops.
- Simmer the pudding in the jars for 2 hours with out removing the lid. If you think the water may run dry then definitely lift the lid and top it up a little. There must always be water in the bottom.
- Serve the pudding with rum sauce or cream and enjoy !
- The pudding will keep on the shelf at room temperature for at least 3 months if it is sealed.
Christmas Cookie Mix in a Jar
Provided by: Corey
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 5
- 17.9 oz bag Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix, divided (¾ cups per jar)
- 1 cup rolled oats (divided (¼ cup per jar))
- 4 Tablespoons Cinnamon-sugar
- 1 cup red and green M&Ms (divided (¼ cup per jar))
- Ribbon and tag (See Free Printable Link in Notes)
- To Prepare the Jars
- To prepare the cookie jars: pour ¼ cup of snickerdoodle cookie mix into an 8 ounce mason jar. Tamp it down firmly with your fingers until it is packed into 1 layer.
- Add in ¼ cup of rolled oats and push them down gently.
- Pour in another ¼ cup of snickerdoodle cookie mix on top of the oats in the jar. Push the layer down firmly until packed.
- Sprinkle in 1 Tablespoon of the cinnamon-sugar mix on top of the cookie mix layer.
- Pour a final ¼ cup of snickerdoodle cookie mix on top of the cinnamon-sugar and press it down firmly.
- Add ¼ cup green and red M&Ms as the final layer and gently press them down until you can screw on the lid.
- Decorate the jar with a holiday ribbon and tag with the baking instructions, optional.
- To Bake
- To bake the cookies: preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Pour all contents of the jar into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, egg yolk and milk to the bowl. Stir gently until all ingredients are combined.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the edges begin to take on a golden color.
- Cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet. Enjoy!