Dinner - Easy chicken recipes for summer
Skip canned tomatoes and serve these crispy, cheesy chicken cutlets with a fresh tomato-and-zucchini sauté instead, a super-easy side that takes advantage of peak-season summer produce. In Lexington, Virginia, Beverly Saunders relies on bottled Italian salad dressing and pineapple juice for her made-in-minutes marinade.
Summer Chicken Parmesan
Provided by: Julia Levy
Total time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 13
- 1 ounce white whole-wheat flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup plain whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 (4-oz.) chicken breast cutlets
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Calories: 398 calories
- Carbohydrate: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 143 mg
- Fat: 16.2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 521 mg
- Sugar: 3 g
- Step 1 Preheat broiler with oven rack in middle position. Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour; dip in egg, and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Step 2 Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add 2 cutlets; cook 1 minute on each side. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining cutlets.
- Step 3 Top cutlets with cheese; broil 1 1/2 minutes. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add zucchini; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Serve with chicken, and top with basil.
Simple Summer Chicken Recipe
Yields: 0 servings
Number of ingredients: 6
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts;
- 1/2 cup lemon juice;
- ½ tsp. onion powder;
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your grill to a medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken in a marinating container (glass or ceramic; not metal) and drizzle with the lemon juice, onion powder, Italian seasoning, garlic, and season each breast to taste.
- Let the chicken marinate for 20 minutes.
- Cook on the prepared grill for 10 to 15 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with extra lemon wedges.
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 4
- 3/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup white wine or white grape juice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- Calories: 140 calories
- Fat: 3g fat (1g saturated fat)
- Cholesterol: 63mg cholesterol
- Sodium: 151mg sodium
- Carbohydrate: 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars
- Fiber: 0 fiber)
- Protein: 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the salad dressing, pineapple juice and wine or grape juice; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.