Easy recipe for canning tomatoes - Canning and pickling
I have been making this recipe for almost 40 years and my Mother and Grandmother did it the same way for many, many years, and my Mother-in-law has been doing it this way for almost 70 years. [Editor's Note: recipe was updated to use cold pack method 6/27/03]
Simple Easy Homemade Canned Tomatoes
Provided by: Tara Noland
Total time: 180 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 120 minutes
Yields: 7 servings
Number of ingredients: 4
- 9 lbs. fresh tomatoes
- Fresh sprigs of basil or oregano
- Lemon juice, I use bottled for ease
- Clean or Sterile jars
- Calories: 105 calories
- Carbohydrate: 23 grams carbohydrates
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams cholesterol
- Fat: 1 grams fat
- Fiber: 7 grams fiber
- Protein: 5 grams protein
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams saturated fat
- Serving Size: 1 pint
- Sodium: 29 grams sodium
- Sugar: 15 grams sugar
- Trans Fat: 0 grams trans fat
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 grams unsaturated fat
- To peel the tomatoes, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash tomatoes and cut a small 'x' in the bottom of each tomato, on the bottom side. Place tomatoes in the boiling water, not enough to over crowd. Cook for about 1 min. or until the skin just starts to peel off. Place the tomatoes in an ice bath to cool. The skins should just slide right off then. Cut tomatoes into quarters, larger ones into eighths.
- Place a quarter of the tomatoes in a large pot and heat over medium heat. When they start to boil crush the tomatoes with a potato masher. Then add the rest of the tomatoes, do not crush and boil gently for 5 min.
- For each jar add 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and one washed large herb sprig. Fill the jars with the tomatoes to about 1/2" head space. Wipe the rims and place the lids on and rims to finger tight. Process in a boiling water bath covering with at least 1" of water for 40 min. for elevations of 1000-3000 ft., 3,001 to 6,000 ft. for 45 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 and 50 min. Remove jars to a towel lined counter and make sure they make a "popping" sound so that the lids are sealed.
- Cool completely and store. Canned tomatoes should be used within the year.
Canned Herbed Tomatoes
Provided by: PocketChangeGourmet.com
Total time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 22
- 6 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1-1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 4 tsp basil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2-1/2 tsp oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1-1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes,optional
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp onion flakes
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1-1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored and halved
- Ball Citric Acid
- Prepare jars in Water Bath Canner
- Add tomatoes to large saucepan and add just enough water to cover
- Bring to boil and boil gently for 5 minutes
- Add spice blend to each jar
- Mexican - 2½ teaspoons; Italian - 2¼ teaspoons; Cajun - 2 teaspoons
- Add ¼ teaspoon Citric Acic to each jar
- Pack tomatoes into each jar leaving ½ inch headspace
- Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes, leaving ½ inch headspace
- Continue with canning process (wiping jars, adding lids and bands)
- Process in water bath canner for 40 minutes
- Remove jars and cool
Provided by: Lali8752
Total time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 15 servings
Number of ingredients: 2
- canning salt (1 tsp. per quart)
- Calories: 0 calories
- Fat: 0 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
- Sodium: 0 milligrams
- Carbohydrate: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Protein: 0 grams
- Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds or so.
- Take out and immediately put into iced water.
- I fill one side of the sink with the ice water, use the other side to drain them.
- This helps to get the skins off.
- Remove core and skins and cut in half or if large tomato cut into quarters.
- pack them tightly into jars.
- Add one Teaspoon canning salt to each Quart.
- set in water bath and process for 30 minutes.
- let cool.