Cake - Egg free christmas cake recipe
If you like this recipe, explore more cake recipes Whole Wheat Eggless Orange Cake Recipe Carrot And Orange Loaf Cake Recipe Apple Almond Cake Recipe Eggless and non-alcoholic, this easy Christmas fruit cake is a super delicious having the rich taste of caramel. Christmas cake recipe without alcohol and without eggs.
Eggless Traditional Christmas Cake Recipe
Provided by: Archana Doshi
Total time: 90 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 6 items
Number of ingredients: 19
- 3/4 cup Sultana Raisins, /sultanas
- 1/4 cup Prunes, chopped
- 1/4 cup Apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dried Figs, chopped
- 150 ml Rum, or brandy (optional)
- 60 ml Fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Orange Zest (Rind)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups Butter (Unsalted), at room temperature (1-1/2 cups canola or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar (Demerara Sugar)
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal (Badam Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves (Laung), ground
- 1 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
- 1 cup Whole Almonds (Badam), or macadamia nuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Flax seed powder (flax meal)
- 12 tablespoons Chilled water
- To begin making the Eggless or Vegan Christmas Cake Recipe, we first have to soak all the dry fruits in rum and juice (you can avoid the rum). This process helps ferment the fruits and also helps to release all the flavors and make the christmas cake moist and rich.
- Place the sultanas, dried prunes, dried dates, dried figs and dried apricots into a large mixing bowl. Pour over the rum and orange juice and sprinkle over the orange zest. Mix until well combined, then cover the bowl with cling film and set aside overnight or a few weeks or a month or a year. They say the longer you ferment, the fruits get fermented, the richer the taste of the christmas cake.
- If your recipe asks for 4 eggs, measure 12 tablespoons of flax meal along with 6 tablespoons of water. Stir well and let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes. This process of resting helps the flax meal mixture develop a gelatinous consistency similar to eggs.
- Proceed to the remaining steps are once the fermentation of the fruits are over.Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and the spices together and keep aside. I like to sift it twice over as the flour gets good air pockets and also makes the cake more fluffy.
- Line the base and sides of a 9 inch spring foam cake pan with a double layer parchment paper, making sure the paper reaches the top of the tin.
- In a large bowl or a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, whisk the butter (oil) and sugar together until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs (flaxmeal egg replacer), one at a time. Add in the flour slowly until well combined.
- Slowly add in the soaked dried fruits, its liquids, the almond powder, chopped nuts and combine it into the flour mixture. Dont over beat, we just want all the ingredients to be well combined.
- Spoon the above cake mixture into the spring foam pan and level the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 and a half hours approximately or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- The cake typically tends to darken a lot during baking, if this happens cover the top with parchment paper in the middle of the baking process.
- Once the christmas cake is baked remove it from the oven allow it to cool completely in the pan.
- Store the Christmas Cake (eggless/ vegan) in an airtight container, wrapped in greaseproof paper and aluminium foil, for two to three months.
- You can also bake the Traditional Christmas Cake in smaller pans and gift them to your family this holiday season.
- Serve the Traditional Christmas Cake along with Qahwa | Arabic Coffee Recipe and Ginger Cardamom Chai (Spice Infused Indian Style Milk Tea) to compliment the cake for your evening.
Eggless Christmas fruit cake recipe
Provided by: blessmyfoodbypayal
Total time: 565 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 21
- 1 cup/170 gm dried fruits ((includes cranberry, strawberry, kiwi, mango, blueberry, tutti fruity & dates))
- 1 cup/145 gm nuts ((includes cashews, pistachios, almonds, walnuts, raisins, melon & pumpkin seeds))
- 1 Cup Cranberry juice ((or orange juice))
- 1/4 cup Sugar ((We have used cane sugar. You can use refined sugar also))
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar ((we have used shakkar. You can use brown sugar or refined sugar after powdering))
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp Star Anise powder
- 1/4 tsp Cloves powder
- 1 cup milk ((at room temperature))
- 1/2 cup melted butter ((at room temperature))
- Soaked fruits
- Caramel Solution ((at room temperature))
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts & dried fruits ((it includes same fruits & nuts used in the cake))
- SOAKING OF DRIED FRUITS & NUTS
- Take a bowl and add all the dried fruits and nuts.
- Pour cranberry juice and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and keep overnight or for 7-8 hours in refrigerator.
- Next day, hours before making cake, take out the soaked fruits from refrigerator and let them come to room temperature.
- MAKING OF CARAMEL SOLUTION
- Add sugar in a non stick pan and put on low heat.
- Stir it continuously until sugar is caramelized.
- Pour hot water, very carefully, in the caramelized sugar and mix well.
- Caramel solution is ready. Keep aside and let it come to room temperature.
- FOR MAKING CAKE
- Take a bowl and add milk, butter, caramel solution and sugar. Mix well.
- Add soaked fruits (without draining any juice) and mix well.
- Put a sieve over the bowl and add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, nutmeg powder, star anise powder and cloves powder.
- Sieve all these ingredients into the bowl.
- Mix them well using a cut & fold method.
- Transfer the batter into 9 inches cake tin lined with greased butter paper or parchment paper.
- Level the batter using a spatula.
- Top the cake with mixed fruits and nuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven @160°C/320°F for 60 to 70 minutes in the middle rack of oven with both the rods on.
- Take the cake out and insert a toothpick in it. If cake comes out clean, this is a sign that cake is properly baked. But if toothpick has some sticky batter, means cake is under baked so need little more baking.
- Let cake cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Invert, cut into slices and enjoy.
Christmas cake | Christmas fruit cake without alcohol
Provided by: Sangskitchen
Total time: 70 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 20
- As per your choice
- 2 tsp cashews
- 2 tsp almonds
- 2 tsp dates
- 2 tsp cherry
- 1 tsp tutty-fruity
- 1 tsp black dry grapes
- 1 tsp dry grapes
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ cup fresh cream (or thick milk)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon/nutmeg + coco powder
- Calories: 250 kcal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Extract fresh orange juice and keep aside. Instead of orange juice, you can use fresh apple juice or grape juice for soaking the nuts and fruits.
- Chop cashews and almonds into small pieces. You can use walnuts and pista pieces also.
- For fruits and dry fruits, I used glazed cherries, dates, black dry grapes, yellow dry grapes, and tutty-fruity.
- How to soak nuts and dry fruits:
- In a bowl, take orange juice, lemon juice and add all chopped nuts and dry fruits.
- Leave for soaking. I left them soaked for a day in the refrigerator. If you are in a hurry you can skip the soaking part and proceed with just mixing and baking. But soaking the nuts and fruits in juice gives a nice taste and texture to the Christmas cake. You can soak for just an hour.
- How to make caramel sauce:
- Keep a pan on the stove, add brown sugar with a tbsp of water and let it dissolve in low heat.
- Stir continuously for few minutes until sugar dissolves completely. Do not let the liquid to become sticky syrup. Just dissolve the sugar and switch off the stove immediately.
- Add fresh milk cream and mix with the sugar water.
- Cake batter:
- Transfer the contents to a bowl, add melted butter, oil and mix well.
- Now add the soaked ingredients along with the juice.
- Sieve flour into a large mixing bowl, add baking salt, baking powder, salt.
- Also, I added a tsp of coco powder along with a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients along with the soaked nuts & fruits into the flour bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients to make a thick cake batter. Actually, my cake batter became little more watery because of more liquid. Hence I got moist and dense fruit cake. If you like light fluffy cake, reduce the liquid quantity, use either oil or butter.
- Use a spatula and mix the batter gently.
- Grease a cake tin or line the baking tin with a parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Pour the cake batter into greased bake tin, bake the plum cake for 50mins to 1 hour.
- Check the finished stage by inserting a tooth pick.
- After completion, take out from the oven, let the cake cool down for 30minutes.
- You may get dark brown crust or slightly burnt top dome. But do not worry, just let the cake to bake fully until the middle portion of the cake is cooked well.
- Do not be on a hurry to stop baking when you see darkened crust. If the top layer is darkened, just slice it out. I Sliced off the browned crust of my cake but forgot to take the picture.
- You can see the perfectly cooked middle portion and the slice of dense fruit cake.
Eggless christmas fruit cake
Provided by: Swasthi
Total time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 18
- 40 grams raisins ((4 tbsp chopped))
- 30 grams apricots ((3 tbsp chopped))
- 60 grams glace cherries ((6 tbsps chopped))
- 20 grams cranberries ((2 tbsps chopped))
- 20 grams citrus peels ( (2 tbsps chopped candied peels, more if desired))
- ¾ cup hot water (or 180 ml (3/4 cup + 1.5 tbsp or 200 ml if using atta))
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar ( or lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¾ to 1 cup brown sugar ((about 170 to 200 grams) or sugar)
- 1/3 cup oil (or melted butter (about 80 ml))
- 120 ml orange juice ( or apple juice)
- 100 grams nuts (chopped (cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds))
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cups wheat flour ((atta or maida/ all-purpose flour, 210 grams))
- 1.5 grams ceylon cinnamon ( or true cinnamon about 1/2 tsp ground)
- 8 cloves
- nutmeg ( small piece or 1/3 tsp grated)
- Calories: 404 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 60 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Sodium: 242 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 29 g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Chop all dry fruits and nuts to small bits. Keep the nuts separately.
- Add raisins, apricots, cranberries and citrus peels to a large mixing bowl.
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. If using whole wheat flour use 1.5 tbsps more. Pour the hot water over the dry fruits. Leave them aside to cool.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to a mini spice jar. Make a fine powder. You can also add a tbsp of sugar to the spices to help them powder finely. Set this aside to cool.
- When the mixture cools down, preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- Making eggless fruit cake
- Add the brown sugar, melted butter, orange juice, vanilla and vinegar to the fruit mixture. Stir everything well.
- In another mixing bowl, sieve together flour, salt, spice powder and soda. You can discard any coarse bits of spices.
- Mix up the flour well once more and make a well in the center.
- When the oven is hot enough and past 12 to 15 mins, then give the fruit mixture a good stir. Pour it to the flour all at once. Make sure the fruit mixture has cooled down before adding it to flour.
- Mix gently with a spatula until you see no streaks of flour.
- Add in cherries and chopped nuts. Gently give it a good stir. Do not over mix.
- Pour this to a cake pan. Knock the pan twice to the kitchen counter. Don't over do this as the nuts will settle at the bottom.
- Keep it in the oven and bake at 170 C for 35 to 40 mins. If using a 8 inch pan it takes about 40 mins. If using a 9 inch pan it will be done around 32 to 34 mins. If baking in a loaf pan it takes about 50 to 55 mins.
- When the cake is done, a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 mins.
- Invert it on a wire rack carefully. Cool it completely before slicing.
- You can dust some powdered sugar over the eggless fruit cake.