Dinner - How to make chicken riggies recipes
We used some of the brine from the jarred pickled peppers to marinate the chicken, and more to lend its punchy heat to the tomato sauce; the cream in the sauce tempers the heat of the peppers. This pasta dish from Utica, New York, is made with chicken, rigatoni, and hot or sweet peppers in a spicy tomato cream sauce.
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yields: 12 servings
Number of ingredients: 19
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 each medium sweet red and green pepper, chopped
- 4 pickled hot cherry peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 cans (one 29 ounces, one 15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) uncooked rigatoni
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut up
- 1-1/2 cups grated Romano cheese
- Calories: 658 calories
- Fat: 28g fat (15g saturated fat)
- Cholesterol: 118mg cholesterol
- Sodium: 514mg sodium
- Carbohydrate: 66g carbohydrate (6g sugars
- Fiber: 4g fiber)
- Protein: 35g protein.
- In a large bowl or dish, combine sherry, oil, garlic and oregano. Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches; cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add sherry; bring to a boil. Stir in tomato puree, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add chicken; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot, cook rigatoni according to package directions. In a small saucepan, combine cream and cream cheese over medium heat; cook and stir until blended. Add to chicken mixture; stir in Romano cheese.
- Drain rigatoni; return to stockpot. Add sauce to pasta; toss to combine.
How To Make Chicken Riggies
I Just Discovered Chicken Riggies And Now I Can't Stop Making It
Chicken Riggies - Rigatoni with Spicy Chicken Tomato Cream Sauce
Creamy & Spicy Chicken Riggies
Provided by: Kelli Foster
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 14
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced jarred hot cherry peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Saturated Fat: 6.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrate: 72.5 g
- Sugar: 11.3 g
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Protein: 30.3 g
- Fat: 17.8 g
- Calories: 582 cal
- Sodium: 611.0 mg
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, thinly slice 1 medium yellow onion. Core, seed, and slice 2 medium red bell peppers into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Mince 3 garlic cloves. Cut 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Season the chicken all over with 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Step 2
- Add 1 pound dried rigatoni pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions until al dente, 11 to 14 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sear the chicken until browned all over, flipping occasionally, about 5 minutes total. The chicken will not be totally cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Reserve the skillet.
- Step 3
- When the pasta is ready, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the reserved skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and bell peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, 1/3 cup sliced hot cherry peppers, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 4
- Pour in 1/2 cup dry white wine. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon and cook until almost fully reduced, 4 to 5 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Add 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes and the reserved pasta water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves if desired for garnish.
- Step 5
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream to the sauce and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the pasta and stir to coat. Top with the basil if using.
Provided by: Olga's Flavor Factory
Total time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 16
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large bell peppers, julienned (cut into slices) red, yellow or orange (green will work as well)
- 1/4 cup minced cherry peppers, plus a few Tablespoons of the brine
- 28 oz. can tomato sauce (you can also use crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes with the juice, pureed
- 1/2 Tablespoon dry herbs and spices, such as Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, dry chives, parsley, thyme, oregano, granulated onion/garlic, etc.
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc.)
- 8-16 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced, optional
- 1/4-1/2 cup sliced olives, optional
- 1 cup grated cheese, optional, to spread on top if baking (mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, etc.)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the rigatoni pasta. (If you will be serving it right away, cook the pasta all the way through, the way you like it. If you will be baking it, slightly undercook the pasta, since it will continue cooking while in the oven.)
- Meanwhile, prep all the ingredients and make the sauce while the water is coming to a boil and the pasta is cooking.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and season to taste with salt, pepper and dry herbs and spices of your choice. Chop the onion, slice the peppers, peel/mince the garlic, remove the seeds from the cherry peppers and finely chop them.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and cook the chicken on medium high heat in 2 batches until golden brown on both sides. Set the chicken aside.
- In the same skillet, add more oil if needed and add the onion. Season with salt and pepper, cooking on medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and the garlic, seasoning with salt and pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, add the cherry peppers and some of the brine (1-2 Tablespoons, or more if you want to give your sauce a more briny flavor.). Season to taste with salt, pepper and dry herbs and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 8 minutes.
- Add the cream, Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs and the chicken. Mix to combine, just until everything is heated through and turn off the heat.
- Mix the sauce with the cooked pasta until evenly combined. If serving right away, garnish with more Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.
- If you want to bake it in the oven, transfer the Chicken Riggies to a large deep baking dish, (13×9 inches), sprinkle with grated cheese on top, cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven (375-400 degrees Fahrenheit) until it is bubbling around the edges. Uncover and continue cooking for 5-7 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
Provided by: Jasmine Smith
Total time: 140 minutes
Yields: 0 servings
Number of ingredients: 15
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup seeded and finely chopped pickled hot cherry peppers, plus 6 tablespoons pickle brine (from 1 [22.2-ounce jar), divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped trimmed mixed fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, shiitake, and cremini mushrooms) (from 8 ounces whole mushrooms)
- 1 small (6-ounce) yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium-size (9-ounce) red bell pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 garlic cloves)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled San Marzano plum tomatoes, finely crushed by hand
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated with a Microplane grater
- Place chicken in a gallon-size ziplock plastic bag; add salt, black pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the pickle brine. Seal bag, and massage until chicken is evenly coated with brine mixture. Place in refrigerator; let marinate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. Remove chicken from brine; discard brine.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in spots, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, and chopped cherry peppers; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wine to mixture in Dutch oven, scraping up any browned bits on bottom. Return mixture to a simmer over medium-high. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and juices, oregano, and chicken; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a gentle boil over medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, tomato mixture thickens, and a spoon leaves a trail when dragged across bottom of pot, about 45 minutes, reducing heat as needed to maintain a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling, salted water according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Set aside.
- Add cream and remaining 3 tablespoons pickle brine to tomato mixture in Dutch oven; stir until combined. Stir in cooked pasta. Cook over low, stirring constantly, until tomato mixture clings to pasta, about 2 minutes. Season with additional salt to taste. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water as needed, 1/4 cup at a time, to loosen sauce as desired. Divide pasta evenly among 8 shallow bowls. Garnish bowls with cheese, and serve.