Side dish - How to prepare frozen okra recipes
Freezing okra while it’s in season allows you to enjoy it any time of year. But once you make okra in an air fryer, you will never return to any alternate cooking way.
- Frozen Okra Recipe
- How To Freeze Fresh Okra
- Air Fryer Frozen Okra: Plain and Breaded Recipe
- Frozen okra in air fryer: plain cut okra and breaded okra
- How do you cook frozen okra?
- How do you cook frozen okra so it is not slimy?
- Do I need to thaw frozen okra before frying?
- How long do you boil frozen okra?
Frozen Okra Recipe
Provided by: Erin Huffstetler
Total time: 369 minutes
Cook time: 4 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yields: 10 to 13 Servings
Number of ingredients: 4
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 pounds okra, whole, unblemished skins
- 1 cup corn flour, optional
- Calories: 30 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 8 mg
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Gather the ingredients.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a large bowl and add the okra. The acetic acid in the vinegar kills bacteria and dissolves any wax, pesticide, and fertilizer residues. It also rids just-picked okra of bugs that might be hanging on. Soak the okra in the solution for a minute or two and then rinse it with abundant fresh, cool water.
- Cut off the stems from each pod, preserving the seed cells. If you can see seeds, you're cutting off too much.
- Carefully drop the okra pods into the boiling water. The blanching halts the enzymatic process, so the okra maintains that just-picked color, flavor, and texture. Without blanching, these enzymes could survive in the freezer and continue the decaying process. Give small okra pods 3 minutes in the boiling water, and large okra pods 4 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer the blanched okra to an ice water bath (this helps set the green color). Let the pods cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then place them in a colander to drain.
- Once the pods feel cool enough to handle, pat-dry the okra with paper towels or a clean dish cloth. Leave the pods whole or chop them up into bite-sized pieces.
- If you plan to fry your okra later, dredge the pieces in the optional corn flour.
- To freeze the okra in individual pieces, rather than clumps, flash-freeze it on a baking sheet in one even layer. Spread the okra out and place it in the freezer until frozen, for about 3 to 6 hours.
- Transfer the frozen okra to freezer bags and return it to the freezer. Label your bags with the date of processing, and use the okra within a year for the best quality.
Cooking Frozen Cut Okra
How to Cook Frozen Okra Not Slimy
How To Cook Frozen Okra In The Instant Pot
This Instant Pot frozen okra is amazing! EASY INSTANT POT RECIPES HERE: https://www
How To Freeze Fresh Okra
Provided by: Gina Abernathy
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 0 servings
Number of ingredients: 1
- Fresh Okra (sliced into rounds/whole)
- Wash okra by filling up your kitchen sink with cold water. Drop okra in the water and swish around to remove any dirt from the pods. Rinse clean. Remove from the water and place on a dishtowel.
- Chop the okra into 1/2 inch rounds (or smaller if desired). Discard the stems. You may also decide to NOT chop and leave the pods whole. This is also another great option for freezing.
- Freeze the okra by placing it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. To keep the okra from freezing in a giant blob, place okra in a single layer. Make sure the pieces are not touching or overlapping. This will allow the okra to freeze in individual pieces- making it easier to use what is needed. Place into the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Once the okra is frozen, remove it from the freezer and place it in a freezer-safe zip-top bag-seal and label with the date. This will last in the freezer for up to a year.
Air Fryer Frozen Okra: Plain and Breaded Recipe
Provided by: Nick
Total time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 2 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
Number of ingredients: 4
- 2 cups frozen okra slices
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat your air fryer at 360°F for 5 minutes.
- Place the frozen okra slices in a mixing bowl. Pour the olive oil over the okra. Sprinkle on the salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat everything.
- Add the okra to the basket or crisper plate of the air fryer in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook in two batches. Cook for 5 minutes. Shake the bucket and continue to cook until crisp and slightly browned, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately as a side dish or use as a garnish on top of soup or salad.
Frozen okra in air fryer: plain cut okra and breaded okra
Provided by: Meenakshi
Total time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Prep time: 2 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 8
- 1 bag of frozen plain cut okra (12 oz)
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil Olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 bag of breaded okra 12oz bag
- 2 tsp vegetable oil of your choice
- Calories: 200 kcal
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Instructions for air frying plain cut okra
- Step 1: Prep and air fry the okra
- In a bowl combine the oil with all the spices that you wish to add. Mix them well and then empty the frozen cut okra pack into the bowl. Turn the content using a spoon to coat the okra with the oil and spice mix.
- Then transfer it to the basket of the air fryer and spread evenly. Air fry at 400 0F for 18-20 minutes. If you like it a little crispy from the outside air fry them for 20 minutes, else for a tender evenly cooked through okra, air fry at 400 0F for 18 minutes. Pull out the basket and give them a shake midway through the air frying duration.
- Step 2 : Serve the air fried okra
- Chop half a sweet onion and a fresh tomato. Mix them with the air fried okra and serve with a dash of lime as a side dish.
- Instructions to air fry frozen breaded okra
- Slit open the pack of frozen okra and add 2 tsp of cooking oil straight into the bag. Then hold the slit with your hands and shake the contents for 5 seconds so that oil coats the breaded okra evenly. Then empty the packet straight into the air fryer basket.
- If you are going to use the cooking spray, in that case also, just empty the pack straight into the air fryer basket and spray with the oil.
- Then air fry the okra at 370 0F for 22 minutes for a perfectly crispy air fried breaded okra. Do not forget to give them a shake halfway through the cooking time. Serve hot and crispy!