Dinner - Jamaican beef stew with rice recipes
Slow cooked Jamaican style, melt in your mouth, jerk beef stew that is just packed with flavour! This version is full of aromatic spices and a hint of heat for a stick to your ribs meal!
Jamaican Beef Stew
Provided by: Meal Prep on Fleek
Total time: 142 minutes
Cook time: 132 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 17
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 lbs. cubed beef stew meat
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup sliced/peeled carrots
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 15 ounces canned fire roasted tomatoes with chiles
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1/2 cups dry long grain white rice
- Calories: 579 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 67.5 g
- Protein: 45.8 g
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Heat ghee over medium-high heat in a 5 quart Dutch oven for 2 minutes. Blot steak dry with paper towel and add to hot Dutch oven. Sear steak for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally for even browning. Add carrots, onion, bell pepper and garlic to pot and continue to cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in allspice, cinnamon and coconut sugar to coat meat and vegetables. Stir in tomatoes, beef stock, coconut aminos, hot sauce, sea salt and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cover with the lid slightly cracked and cook for 2 hours or until beef is fork tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Add 1 cup of rice to 4 black MPOF containers. Top with 1 ½ ladles of stew. Garnish with green onions. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before covering and refrigerating.
HOW TO COOK STEW BEEF || REAL JAMAICAN STEW
Stew Beef | Beef Stew with Shank
Please read ALL the info belowStew Beef Ingredients:2 1/2 - 3 lbs Beef shank pieces, rinsed
HOW TO COOK REAL JAMAICAN BEEF STEW RECIPE
Jamaican-Style Beef Stew
Provided by: Shelby Jo
Total time: 115 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Yields: 5 servings
Number of ingredients: 19
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- hot cooked rice (optional) or mashed potatoes (optional)
- Calories: 288.7 calories
- Fat: 8.7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 81.7 milligrams
- Sodium: 665.9 milligrams
- Carbohydrate: 19.5 grams
- Fiber: 3.2 grams
- Sugar: 10.4 grams
- Protein: 32.4 grams
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew.
- Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice or potatoes if desired.
Jamaican Beef Stew
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 0 servings
Number of ingredients: 17
- 3 lbs. Beef Stew (any cut of preference)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks Scallion (cut fine)
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 tsp. Seasoned Salt
- 2 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dark or Mushroom Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. Oil
- 2 medium Carrots (peeled and cut in rounds)
- 1 large Potato (cut in 2" chunks)
- Spinners (recipie below)
- 1 medium Onion (cut in horizontal slices)
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 Tbsp. Water
- Cut beef in medium pieces. Season with all ingredients down to the sugar. Marinade at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat deep pot on medium-high heat, add oil, wait a few seconds or 1 minute until hot, add beef, stir to brown for about 2 minutes. If using pressure cooker, add a little water and pressure for about 20 minutes. check if mostly tender. If using a regular pot, use enough water to cover meat and boil on high 1 1/2- 2 hours or until semi-tender. Continue adding water as needed but less when almost cooked.
- Prepare spinners by combining flour & salt in a bowl. Add water, first stirring with a spoon and then start kneading with your hands using extra flour as needed so the dough is not sticky. Continue kneading around 2 minutes.Pinch off about 2 Tbsp. pieces at a time and roll in palm of both hands, making ends pointy. set aside.
- Cut up potatoes, carrots, and onions
- When meat is almost cooked, add carrots in the last 20 minutes, then potatoes & spinners in the last 15 minutes along with the ketchup. Add onions in the last 5 minutes. When finished, season to taste.
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Total time: 150 minutes
Cook time: 140 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 21
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1+ scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero pepper)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 orange, juice and zest
- 1 lime, juice and zest (or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas
- green onions to taste, sliced
- Calories: Calories 289
- Fat: Fat 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: Saturated 2.3g
- Trans Fat: Trans 0
- Cholesterol: Cholesterol 68mg
- Sodium: Sodium 898mg
- Carbohydrate: Carbs 26.2g
- Fiber: Fiber 5.3g
- Sugar: Sugars 7.8g
- Protein: Protein 28.2g
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic, ginger and pepper(s) and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beef broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the broth sizzles in the hot pan.
- Add the beef, potatoes, carrots, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, thyme, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and either reduce and simmer cover until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste add the peas and enjoy garnished with green onions!