Dinner - Tuna casserole for diabetics recipe
½ lb whole wheat pasta, of your choice, cooked 1 tbsp unsalted butter 1 tbsp all-purpose flour 1 cup non-fat milk ½ tsp ground white pepper 2 oz parmesan cheese 6 oz canned tuna, drained, broken in chunks 1 tsp paprika salt, to taste
1/2 lb whole wheat penne pasta 1 Tbsp margarine 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour 1 cup nonfat milk 1/2 tsp pepper 1 oz Parmesan cheese 1 6-oz can water-packed white albacore tuna, drained 1 tsp paprika Use reduced fat soup and fat-free milk to make this favorite casserole lower in fat and calories. This recipe is a great example of using vegetables to bulk up a dish that is typically high in carbs and fat.
Modern Tuna Noodle Casserole
Provided by: Lara Rondinelli Hamilton, RD, LDN, CDE and Jennifer Bucko Lamplough, The Diabetes Cookbook
Total time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 13
- nonstick cooking spray 1 1
- whole grain penne, shells, or farfalle pasta 12 oz 340 g
- olive oil 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- white (button) mushrooms (sliced) 8 oz 227 g
- small onion (diced) 1 1
- baby spinach 5 oz 142 g
- salt-free all-purpose seasoning 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- flour 3 tbsp 3 tbsp
- skim milk 2 cup 2 cup
- salt 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- black pepper 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp
- tuna packed in water (drained) 5 oz 142 g
- Parmesan cheese (shredded) 1/2 cup 1/2 cup
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 250 calories
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 13g
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions minus two minutes (the pasta should be slightly undercooked).
- While the pasta is cooking, add the olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté until the onions turn clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and no-salt seasoning and sauté until the spinach is wilted and soft, about 3 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, salt and ground black pepper until all the flour lumps are mixed in. Pour over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Stir in the tuna and pasta and pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the casserole and bake for 15 minutes.
Cheesy Tuna Casserole
Provided by: Ginsburg Enterprises
Total time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yields: 0 servings
Number of ingredients: 9
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 8 ounce whole grain rotini or other favorite shape pasta
- 1 (14-3/4-ounce) can reduced-fat, low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat white Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (5-ounce) cans water packed tuna, drained well
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add cauliflower and cook 8 minutes. Stir in pasta and continue to cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until both are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, combine soup, milk, cheese, onion powder, and black pepper; mix well and heat over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients along with cooked pasta and continue to cook 5 minutes, or until hot.
- Preheat oven to broil. Pour mixture into casserole dish and place under broiler 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Diabetic Tuna Casserole
Provided by: BUNNYCHINO1966, PATRICIAANN46
Total time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yields: 1 serving
Number of ingredients: 3
- I rinse off the can of tuna in a strainer with cold water to help reduce the soduim.
- I use a big can of tuna. My family loves tuna & a little 6 oz can doesnt last long lol
- I also use a whole pound of whole wheat pasta & double the recipe for the roux.
- Calories: 365.4 calories
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 94.5 mg
- Fiber: 0.0 g
- Protein: 80.4 g
- 1.Preheat oven to 350�F.
- 2.Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain water.
- 3.Combine margarine and flour to make a roux. Cook in a medium saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 4.To roux, add milk, pepper, and cheese. Cook for 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth.
- 5.Combine pasta, tuna, and sauce in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: Serves 4 - 1 1/4 cup
- Number of Servings: 1
- Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PUGLOVINT2D.
Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Provided by: EatingWell Test Kitchen
Total time: 55 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Number of ingredients: 10
- 2 cups dried medium noodles (3 ounces)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetables
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can reduced-fat and reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) can solid light tuna (water-pack), drained and broken into chunks
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Calories: 222.1 calories
- Carbohydrate: 27.5 g
- Cholesterol: 45.2 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 684.8 mg
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large saucepan, cook noodles, mushrooms, stir-fry vegetables, and onion in a large amount of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain; return to saucepan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream of mushroom soup, milk, dill, and salt. Stir into noodle mixture. Fold in tuna. Spoon mixture into a 1-1/2- to 2-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over tuna mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until heated through. Makes 4 (1-cup) servings.