Dessert - Vegan Apple Turnovers recipes
Apples, cinnamon and sultanas encased in 'buttery' shortcrust pastry - this traditional vegan apple pie is a crowd pleasing dessert served with vegan ice cream or custard. This vegan apple pie is bursting with ooey-gooey spiced apple filling between two layers of flaky vegan pastry.
Vegan Apple Pie
Provided by: Kate Ford | The Veg Space
Total time: 90 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 14
- 350 g plain flour
- 210 g dairy-free block margarine ((eg Flora Plant Block or Naturli Block))
- 70 g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp dairy-free yoghurt
- 1-2 tsp cold water
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cooking apples (eg Bramleys)
- 2 eating apples
- 40 g soft light brown sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 60 g sultanas
- dairy-free milk (to glaze)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (for sprinkling)
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 487 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 69 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
- Sodium: 256 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 29 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16 g
- For the pastry:
- Tip the flour and block margarine into a large bowl and rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir through the icing sugar then vegan yoghurt and bring together into a soft dough. If the dough is a little dry or crumbly, add a little cold water at a time.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes whilst you make the filling.
- For the filling:
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a large bowl. Peel and core the apples. Cut the eating apples into thick slices, and the cooking apples into smaller chunks. Put them into the bowl and toss through the lemon juice as you go, to stop them turning brown.
- Stir through the light brown sugar, cinnamon, cornflour and sultanas.
- To assemble the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan) / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Tip the chilled pastry dough onto a floured surface and separate about a third of it to set aside for the lid. Roll the remaining two thirds with a rolling pin to roughly the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Grease a loose-bottomed baking tin and line it with the pastry. Leave the edges overhanging for now.
- Tip the apple filling into the pastry case.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make the lid. Wet the edges of the lid then place it on the top of the pie. Press the edges down firmly to create a seal, and cut a small hole in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Use any leftover pastry to make decorations for the top of the pie - roll these as thinly as you can.
- Brush the pie lid all over with dairy-free milk to glaze.
- Sprinkle with a little caster sugar then bake for 35-45 minutes until golden. Serve warm with vegan ice cream or custard.
Vegan Apple Turnovers
Provided by: Sophie & Paul
Total time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Number of ingredients: 9
- 2 small apples (1cm or ⅓ inch cubes )
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 - 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- flour (for dusting)
- 1 tbsp soy milk (for brushing)
- 1 tsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 324 kcal
- Carbohydrate: 32 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
- Sodium: 136 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15 g
- Apple filling
- Place the diced apple, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir on medium heat until butter and sugar melt, then continue to simmer on low-medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle and stir in the cornstarch. Let thicken for about 1 minute, then take the saucepan off heat.
- Let the apple filling cool down until it's not steaming anymore, which keeps the puff pastry from going too soft when the filling is placed on top.
- Assemble and bake
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ / 390℉ (fan).
- Cut a sheet of puff pastry into six almost square shaped rectangles. We like to use a pizza cutter for this.
- Place one of the puff pastry squares on a lightly dusted work surface or wooden board. Top it with a slightly heaped tablespoon of apple filling in one corner, leaving a ½ inch (1cm) border.
- Fold the opposite corner over the filling, align the edges and then crimp them together with a fork to seal them tightly. If the fork sticks a bit to the puff pastry, dip it in some flour occasionally.
- Place the sealed puff pastry turnovers on a lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the pieces until you have assembled all the turnovers.
- On the baking tray, score the turnover tops with a sharp knife (we make three cuts), brush them with soy milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the apple turnovers at 200℃ / 390℉ (fan) for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Let the turnovers cool down on a cooling rack.
Classic Vegan Apple Pie
Provided by: Alissa Saenz
Total time: 200 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 12
- 2 batches vegan pie crust ((or use store-bought pie crusts - Note 2))
- 7 cups peeled and sliced apples ((Note 3))
- 2/3 cup organic granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons organic granulated sugar
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/8 of pie)
- Calories: 520 kcal
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.6 g
- Sodium: 366 mg
- Carbohydrate: 65.6 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 26 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- If you're making your own pie crust, prepare the dough for that first. Once mixed, cover the bowl and place it into the refrigerator while you prepare the filling (up to 20 minutes, but no longer).
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place all ingredients for the filling into a large bowl and stir until well-mixed and the apple slices are evenly coated with the sugar and spices.
- Gather a 9 1/2 inch pie plate.
- Get the pastry dough out of the fridge and divide it in half.
- Lightly sprinkle a work surface with flour and roll half of the dough into a thin circle. Invert your pie plate on the rolled dough to ensure your circle is large enough to cover your pie plate, with some extra — you'll want at least an extra inch all around the dish.
- Drape the dough inside the pie plate and gently press with your fingers to mold it to the inside of the plate.
- Use a fork to poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust.
- Place the filling inside of the bottom crust. You'll have a lot of filling, so do your best to arrange the apple slices horizontally and stack them, then pack them into the crust as best you can.
- Roll the other half of your dough so it's large enough to cover the pie plate, with a bit of extra.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough into about ten 1-inch strips. (Note 4)
- Weave the strips into a lattice formation over the fillings, then trim them if needed so they extend just to the edge of your pie dish. (Note 5)
- Trim the bottom crust, then tuck the edges over the edges of your top crust.
- Crimp the edges of the crust with a fork or your fingers.
- Brush the top crust with the non-dairy milk, then sprinkle it with the sugar.
- Place the pie plate into the oven, with a large baking sheet or pan on the rack beneath it to catch drips.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes. Optionally, cover the edges of the crust with foil when they begin to brown, after about 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 375°F. Continue baking the pie for 20-25 minutes, until you can see the fillings bubbling up inside the slits.
- Remove the pie from the oven and transfer it to a cooling rack. Allow it to cool for at least 2 hours before slicing.
- Slice and serve with vegan vanilla ice cream.
Spiced Apple and Rhubarb Pie
Provided by: Emily
Total time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Number of ingredients: 11
- 5 Green Apples Peeled and Cored
- 5 Sticks of Rhubarb
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 5 Cloves
- A Splash of Port or fortified wine (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Butter
- 2 Sheets Dairy Free Puff Pastry
- 1/2 Tsp Icing Sugar to Dust
- Calories: 174 calories
- Sugar: 17.5 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 21.5 mg
- Preheat oven to 175 Degrees C
- Roughly chop the apple and rhubarb and add to a saucepan over medium heat and splash with Port or water. Add the lemon juice, sugar and spices then place the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes until the apple and rhubarb are soft and has soaked up the juice.
- Grease a ceramic or glass pie dish and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom, trimming the edges. Prep the other puff pastry sheet by cutting 2cm strips down the pastry with a very sharp knife until it is all evenly divided.
- Spoon in the mixture onto of the pastry sheet in the dish and layer your first layer of pastry strips evenly down the mixture then repeat the process in the other direction forming a lattice.
- Melt the butter in the microwave then brush the pastry with the butter and sprinkle over the top with brown sugar.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the pastry starts to puff up and turn golden brown.
- Dust with icing.